Climbing

Mechanical Team to discuss Machine design, prototyping, etc.

Climbing

Postby Anthony Ogg » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:30 pm

Interesting idea, I wonder if we could apply a similar concept for climbing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBMUvAUPTGM
Anthony Ogg
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:38 pm

Re: Climbing

Postby JimmyNichols » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:11 am

Anthony Ogg wrote:Interesting idea, I wonder if we could apply a similar concept for climbing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBMUvAUPTGM


Ok that was pretty cool. Did you see how he did it. The front had hooks that hooked into an area so that the weight would not topple off when the arm was repositioned. I could see us easily doing that with an arm and some hooks on the base.
Jimmy Nichols
JimmyNichols
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:43 am
Location: Hamilton, OH

Re: Climbing

Postby RyanReliford » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:18 am

Yes!
RyanReliford
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:03 am

Re: Climbing

Postby JimmyNichols » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:03 am

Re-thinking, we may need a wide base. The dozer was able to stablaize ont he flats and then use the hooks. So much of the weigh was supported ont he flats. If we were to have the weight of the bot sitting on level 1 bars and hooked on then release the arm, we may end up spinning around the bars. If we do, then I think we would want the wide base so that the bot could swing through avoiding a collision with the bar below it.
Jimmy Nichols
JimmyNichols
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:43 am
Location: Hamilton, OH

Re: Climbing

Postby Anthony Ogg » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:28 am

I was thinking we could do this on the corner and be support just by the fact the we aren't parallel to 1 cross member, but perpendicular to 2. Not sure if we could grab higher than the first or second bar based on the way the rules are written.
Anthony Ogg
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:38 pm

Re: Climbing

Postby JimmyNichols » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:21 am

Anthony Ogg wrote:I was thinking we could do this on the corner and be support just by the fact the we aren't parallel to 1 cross member, but perpendicular to 2. Not sure if we could grab higher than the first or second bar based on the way the rules are written.


I'm wondering if you have a mechanism that grabs the first bar, lifts you off the ground, then an arm that grabs the second to lift you over the 1st bar.... Wait What if you come in at an angle, so the base of your robot could be supported by 2 bars, the bars that form the right angle. You sit on these 2 bars, while a gripper supports your robot on the vertical angled bar. The arm reaches for the second bar and lfts you up, once elevated off first bar, a second arm would need to left you above the second bar and hold position for a 30 point climb.
Jimmy Nichols
JimmyNichols
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:43 am
Location: Hamilton, OH

Re: Climbing

Postby Anthony Ogg » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:05 pm

JimmyNichols wrote:
Anthony Ogg wrote:I was thinking we could do this on the corner and be support just by the fact the we aren't parallel to 1 cross member, but perpendicular to 2. Not sure if we could grab higher than the first or second bar based on the way the rules are written.


I'm wondering if you have a mechanism that grabs the first bar, lifts you off the ground, then an arm that grabs the second to lift you over the 1st bar.... Wait What if you come in at an angle, so the base of your robot could be supported by 2 bars, the bars that form the right angle. You sit on these 2 bars, while a gripper supports your robot on the vertical angled bar. The arm reaches for the second bar and lfts you up, once elevated off first bar, a second arm would need to left you above the second bar and hold position for a 30 point climb.


Yes this is what I was thinking of. Instead of continuously climbing to the top, break it down into a 2 step process or something.
Anthony Ogg
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:38 pm

Re: Climbing

Postby Anthony Ogg » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:51 pm

Not sure where this will be viewed the most. Another interesting climbing idea. Could work well for going up the corner, regardless of having that "V" shape.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkpH1BjD ... e=youtu.be
Anthony Ogg
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:38 pm

Re: Climbing

Postby Anthony Ogg » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:15 am

Here is a link to a design idea for a climbing mechanism. I won't be able to attend Thursday the 17th I thought I would share here.

http://hughmeyer.com/DesignIdeas/FRC201 ... esign.html
Anthony Ogg
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:38 pm


Return to Mechanical

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron